Sunday, August 28, 2011

Popularity

What does it mean to be "popular"?
How does one become "popular"?

This weeks' theme is popularity, and I'll admit that it is a touchy subject for many.  The topic of popularity can bring back memories of wonderful, fun times, or sad, lonely, horrible times during our middle and high school years.
Even as adults, we find ways to clique together and categorize people.  It's part of being human I think, this labeling and sorting of people into groups.

When you look up popularity, it is defined as something or someone who is appealing and/or widely favored and admired.  Clothes can be popular.  Music, television, actors and actresses, movements and philosophies.... these can all be popular or unpopular.

I was never really what one would consider "popular" in school.  I was outgoing and friendly and had some good friends, and I tended to get along with everyone, but I was not "popular."  Certain people were "popular," and to be quite honest, other than being athletic and having more lenient parents so they could have a different social life than I, I have no idea WHY they were popular.  They had good clothes.  They were invited to good parties.  But in general, many of them weren't genuinely kind people.  They weren't necessarily "bullies," but they weren't truly nice to everyone.  Is that a common theme in being "popular"?  Because if it is, I don't want any part of it. 

Now that I'm an adult, I find myself way less concerned with being popular.  I focus on close friends and family instead.  But there's still that part of me that would like to be liked.  Like, liked A LOT.  I'd like to go on Twitter and have everyone want to tweet with me and mention me....... but they don't.  I'd like to have a huge blog following and be a well known blogger..... but I'm not.  I'd like to be someone that others think of inviting when they have an event or party to go to..... but often I'm not.  It'd be nice to walk into a meeting and know that no matter where you sit, people WANT you to sit by them.... but I don't get that.
I don't know exactly what it takes to be "popular," and I'm honestly okay with that.

Do you have any thoughts on popularity?  Do you have any stories about being popular or being unpopular or having run ins with popular people?
We'd love for you to share them here with us this week.
Link up below.  Email  your story to us at cheesybloggers@gmail.com.  We'd love to hear from you and feature your post!!